People often ask me about my diet. If I eat it, it must be good, right? Generally, yes, although I do follow the 80/20 rule of eating healthy 80% of the time, but also enjoy wine and the occasional treat the other 20% of the time.
Lunch is my favourite meal, because, it’s generally about what I want – not the kids or my husband as they are at school or work. I’m fortunate I work from home, meaning I can whip up something good in my own kitchen.
So took a picture of all my lunches for a week. (keep reading to see) I surprised even myself at the end of the week when I realized all my lunches were vegetarian, and all involved legumes. We generally have meat at dinner, so I prefer to get my protein from other sources at lunch, and this week – black beans played a key role. They are full of fibre and protein, which is great because it fills me up. Notice I rarely have starchy carbs. They give me an afternoon energy lull, so I avoid them at lunch. Also, notice my portions are not huge because I eat a hefty snack/small meal between 3 and 4, and then dinner around 7.
What you don’t see here is that I almost always finish my lunch with a square of 85% dark chocolate. A little sweetness, without the sugar of milk chocolate, and getting the health benefits of cocoa. Hey, I’m Swiss – if I don’t have chocolate every day they take away my Swiss passport!
Monday– One egg, 1/4 avocado, black beans and cilantro
Tuesday – Vegetarian chili (defrosted from my freezer) See recipe below
Wednesday – Amy’s Black Bean Burrito – my version of fast food! I add some extra black beans and dip it in Greek Yogurt instead of sour cream (extra protein). Those white things are kohlrabi – an underappreciated vegetable!
Thursday – zucchini pasta with peppers, tofu and black beans. (watch me make it below!)
Friday – Broccoli soup, whipped up in my Vitamix blender (from last night’s leftover broccoli) and Wasa crackers with hummus. Wasa crackers are great because they have 3 ingredients – Rye flour, water, salt! That’s it!
None of these lunches took more than a few minutes to put together, there was some form of vegetable and legume in all of them, and the only gluten/wheat was the Amy’s Burrito. Always strive for a combination of protein and fibre to keep your energy up through the afternoon, and sneak in a vegetable or two. To get more recipes and ideas remember to sign up for my blog at http://www.fitkitchendiva.com/free/